Sustainability is a theme throughout the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover. From education to onsite activation, we strive to be a model of sustainability. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle are lessons we teach every day.
The Newport Stopover aims to minimize the environmental impact of the event and leverage sustainability efforts to educate sailors, attendees, and other race hosts on sustainability best practices. By doing this, the Newport stopover seeks to demonstrate leadership in this global race as the most environmentally responsible port.
For the Newport Stopover, sustainability is defines as optimizing the social, economic, and environmental impacts of all event activities, leaving a positive legacy on the local community and attendees, and protecting our natural environment.
To achieve this goal, a cross-functional team of stakeholders came together in collaboration with Sail Newport to create the Sustainability Committee and develop a plan. The Sustainability Plan provides a holistic approach for event-related sustainability activities to be implemented during the Newport Stopover.
Activity highlights within the four environmental themes of the event include:
1. Climate and Energy
- Alternative Transportation: Maximize clean transportation options, in partnership with Bike Newport.
- Biodiesel: Utilize low emissions biodiesel in Race Village generators, Volvo Team boats, in partnership with the National Biodiesel Board.
- Emissions Inventory: Quantify carbon emissions of the event to inform future efforts.
2. Resource Efficiency
- Recycling & Composting: Target 60% waste diversion throughout the event through composting, recycling and waste audits in partnership with Sailors for the Sea.
- Supply Chain Management: Source compostable and recyclable materials for public concession, catering and bar services, in partnership with TR McGrath/Blackstone.
3. Marine Environment
- Marine Debris Prevention & Awareness: Educate spectators about the impact of marine debris and the importance of stopping plastic pollution at the source, in partnership with Clean Ocean Access and Sailors for the Sea.
4. Education and Outreach
- Green Team: Engage a network of volunteers throughout the stopover to help educate spectators and ensure sustainability goals are met.
For more information, the complete Sustainability Plan can be downloaded here.